A graduate of the ANU’s School of Music Jazz Dept (1995), , Trish has been singing professionally since late 1991 in a variety of musical genres as both a soloist and a backing vocalist in Australia and overseas. Along with session, corporate & television work, she has led vocal workshops and choirs; produced and promoted her own concerts; was a founding member and soprano of the internationally acclaimed a cappella quartet The Idea Of North; & is an award winning songwriter and arranger.
With formal training in both classical and jazz styles, Trish is a versatile entertainer whose love of performance has led her into musical fields as diverse as musical theatre, cabaret, jazz ensembles and vocal groups. As well as performance, Trish also has a great interest in musical education and is in great demand as a vocal coach and teacher.
As soprano with The Idea Of North (1993- 2008) Trish’s passion & talent for song writing was well utilised within the group, along with her arranging, & other contributions to the groups recordings and live shows. During her time with the group, The Idea Of North was the recipient of a number of awards and established a national and international reputation that saw them traveling widely and often throughout Australia, the USA, Asia and Europe for concert performances, festivals, workshops and master classes. In 2003 they were the first non-US act to win the worlds largest a cappella competition (The Harmony Sweepstakes) in its then 20 year history. Since retiring from The Idea of North in 2008, Trish has returned as a guest for celebratory concerts, and more recently returned to the soprano chair for a 6 month deputy contract (2017).
Trish’s recording credits include numerous radio and television jingles; live television performances both with The Idea of North and as a solo artist; featured solo and backing vocals on a number of CDs for other artists; her own debut CD of original material ‘Only the Beginning’; and a cappella quartet ‘The Idea of North’s’ six CDs along with their live concert DVD released in 2007. Trish was named Songwriter of the Year by the Australian Songwriters Association (2003) ; was awarded ‘Best Jazz Song” in the 2005 CARA’s (USA); “Best jazz Fusion/Gospel Song” and “Best Gospel Lyric” in the 2007 Australian Gospel Music Awards as well as being shortlisted for Jazz Songwriting in the 2009 and 2017 APRA Development Awards. A recording project for broadcast on ABCJazz Digital in mid 2017 is also due for release as an EP in November 2017.
Music has always been a part of Trish’s life, with family concerts, school choirs and productions making way for a more serious approach in late high school. Private tutors were followed with a year of classical study in the Canberra School of Music PrepatoryCourse in 1989, with then Head of Classical Vocal studies, David Parker. Her jazz studies began in 1991 under then Head of Jazz Vocal Studies, Ms Gery Scott. Trish has also been privileged to study with Cheryl Bentyne (The Manhattan Transfer), Mark Murphy (USA), Lauren Kinhan, The New York Voices, Helen Tiller (Estill CMT/CCI-TP), Gene Puerling (Singers Unlimited), Connaitre Miller (Howard University USA), and The Real Group (Sweden).
With the birth of her first child in early 2007 Trish found her focus shifting from performance and touring to include more music education. As a Certified Master Teacher of the Estill Voice Model, the study that Trish had initially done to benefit her own performance has become an invaluable tool when helping other aspiring and established vocalists understand and improve their vocal performance. Ongoing professional development sees Trish continuing to pursue greater knowledge and implementation of the advances in voice science & performance.
Along with ongoing performances - regular gigs including the Sonic Mayhem Orchestra (15 piece jazz big band), The Trish Delaney-Brown Quintet, the James Valentine Quartet, the Cam McAllister sextet and others - and her private teaching studio, Trish is also a sessional staff member of the Contemporary Dept at the Australian Institute of Music.
Qualifications and Teaching Experience
Trish’s academic qualifications, awards & teaching programs have included:
- Shortlisted for APRA Professional Development Award – Jazz Songwriting (2017)
- Graduate Certificate in Performance studies commence(July 2016 – ongoing)
- Delegate - Estill Voice Symposium, Melbourne (Jan 2015)
- Featured Lecturer and Performer at ANU Winter Jazz Festival (July 2014)
- Accepted as a Performance Fellow Teacher at the ANU School of Music, Canberrra (Feb 2014)
- Certified Master Teacher of the Estill Voice Model (2013)
- High Distinction in Physiology exam for Certified Master Teacher in Estill Voice Training (2011)
- Certificate of Attendance for Level One and Two Course, completed Estill Voice Training CFP and passed Voiceprint figures for CMT-C(July 2010)
- Certificate of Completion, Level One & Two Course in Estill Voice Training (2009)
- Shortlisted for APRA Professional Development Award - Jazz Songwriting (2009)
- Joins sessional staff at the Australian Institute of Music as Contemporary Vocal teacher, taking individual lessons, concert practice, master classes and a variety of vocal groups (2007-ongoing)
- Australian Gospel Music Awards “Best Gospel Hymn”, “Best Jazz Fusion/Gospel Song”, and “Best Gospel Lyric” (2007)
- Certificate of Completion, Level One & Two Course in Estill Voice Training (2006)
- Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards “Best Jazz Song” (2005)
- Recipient of Ian Potter Foundation Study Grant (2004)
- Recipient of Australian Elizabethan Theatre Trust Overseas Study Grant (2004)
- Australian Songwriters Association Songwriter of The Year (2003)
- Voicecraft week of masterclasses (Estill Voice Traiining) with Helen Tiller (2003)
- Election to ‘Writer-Full Member’ of APRA, the Australasian Performing Rights Association Limited (2000)
- Completed a ‘Promote Songs’ workshop run by Creative Options (1997)
- Graduate Diploma of Music in Jazz Studies commenced in 1996 (Canberra School of Music – Australian National University). This course of further study was deferred in 1997 to concentrate on performance opportunities
- Completed Advanced Diploma of Music in Jazz Studies (1995)
- Running a successful vocal & performance practice in both Canberra and Sydney. This included private tutoring of students, public & private school music development programs(1993-2001)
- Winner of the ‘Brindabella Award’ for excellence in music (1992)
- Completed Prepatory Course in classical voice studies (1989)
The Idea of North highlights
As soprano in The Idea Of North, Trish has the following award & performance highlights.
July 2007 The Idea Of North release “Live At The Powerhouse”, their first live concert DVD and CD.
August 2006 THE GOSPEL PROJECT The Idea Of North’s fifth CD and first themed album has its national release.
July 2006 KOREA. Their 2nd trip in as many years – The Idea of North once again presented severalconcerts in Seoul to a new, but rapidly growing audience.
July 2006 MALAYSIA. The group’s lively stage presence and unique music was a feature at this year’sKL Music Festival in Malaysia.
June 2006 JAPAN. Their 3rd trip to Japan, this one sees The Idea of North performing a 6 concert tour ofNagasaki, Osaka, Toyama & Tokyo. The group’s first live DVD was also recorded in June 2006, with an estimated release date of May 2007.
May 2006 GERMANY. By invitation, the group headlined the Leipzig International Festival for Vocal Music, presenting both their own concerts and performing in the gala closing event.
December 2005 SINGAPORE. The Idea Of North perform their first concert in Singapore to a 1700 strong sold out crowd.
September 2005 SWEDEN. This is the 2nd time The Idea of North have been in Sweden and been asked to perform on the same bill by Swedish A Cappella Super-group, The Real Group. They also performed 2 concerts at the legendary ‘Jazzclub Fasching’ – a Stockholm Jazz Institution.
August 2005 SUMMER JAZZ CONCERT – TAIPEI, TAIWAN. The Idea of North teamed up in August 2005 to perform a concert with James Morrison and his quartet. A huge success, playing great jazz vocal and trumpet music to a sold-out house at the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall in Taipei.
June 2005 CONCERT SERIES, SEOUL, KOREA. Their first and highly successful trip to Korea is to be followed up by subsequent tours to Korea in November 2005 and May 2006.
April 2005 INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION OF COLLEGIATE A CAPPELLA. The second time The Idea of North have been guests at this prestigious NYC event – appeared once again at The Lincoln Centre as guests at this competition.
February 2005 ‘EVIDENCE’ WINS ‘BEST JAZZ ALBUM’ IN THE CARA’S. The group’s 4th CD ‘Evidence’ wins the US-based, 2005 ‘Contemporary A Cappella Recording Award’ for ‘Best Jazz Album’.
February 2005 PERTH INTERNATIONAL ARTS FESTIVAL. Their first year at this highly acclaimed festival, The Idea of North’s concert sold out within two weeks – the second performance of the entire festival to do so.
December2004 PENANG ISLAND INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL, MALAYSIA. The Idea of North’s 2nd appearance in Malaysia in as many years.
November 2004 EUROPEAN TOUR. The Idea of North once again appears at the continent’s most significant A Cappella festivals – Vokal Total in Germany and Voicemania in Austria. After only two appearances, the group has now been asked to headline both of these festivals.
July & Nov 2004 USA & EUROPE. With assistance from the Australian Elizabethan Theatre Trust, The Idea of North travel to the USA and Europe to study with some of vocal jazz’s best, including The New York Voices, Cheryl Bentyne from The Manhattan Transfer, The Real Group (Sweden), and Gene Puerling of The Hi-Los and The Singers Unlimited.
May/June 2004 AUSTRALIAN TOUR/CD RELEASE. Achieving a top 10 spot in the ARIA charts, The Idea of North’s 2004 CD Evidence is released. The group’s 3rd CD release Here & Now becomes one of the all-time best-selling ABC Jazz releases.
March 2004 CONCERT SERIES, TAIPEI, TAIWAN. Appeared by invitation at a ‘vocal’ concert series in Taipei, alongside The New York Voices from the USA.
January 2004 CASA NOMINATION & AWARD. The Idea of North is awarded runners-up as ‘Artist of the Year’ by the Contemporary A Cappella Society of America (CASA, USA).
December 2003 PHILIPS INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL, MALAYSIA. One of several headlining acts from around the Asia/Pacific region at this, the 3rd year of this significant festival.
May 2003 SYDNEY CABARET CONVENTION, Sydney. Winners of the only award open to groups at the convention, the ‘Corporate Gold’ award.
HARMONY SWEEPSTAKES FINALS, San Rafael, USA. WINNERS of the finals of the Harmony Sweepstakes International A Cappella Championships. 1st place, Audience Favourite and ‘Best Original Arrangement’ awards – only non-US winner in the competition’s 20-year history.
MO AWARD NOMINATION, Sydney. The group’s 3rd year of nominations in a row at Australia’s biggest live music awards: 2000 for ‘Variety Group of the Year’, and 2001 & 2002 for ‘Jazz Group of the Year’.
January 2001 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF JAZZ EDUCATORS annual conference, NYC, USA. Appeared as a international guest artists on the second day of the conference.
September 2000 2000 AFL GRAND FINAL, Australia’s largest sporting Grand Final event - Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, VIC